Two men reporting the tally of a desert hunt, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan
Egypt, Beni Hassan, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Upper Cemetery, Chapel, North wall.
Two bowing men present the report from a desert hunt and a gift of an oryx to the tomb owner. This detail appears beside the desert hunt scene on the chapel's north wall General view of the north wall. The first man wears a shoulder-length wig and a long kilt. He holds a document in his left hand and a scribal palette under his right armpit. He is labelled sš wdḥw Rn-js sꜢ Mnṯw-ḥtp(.w) ‘the scribe of the offering-table, Renis’s son, Mentuhotep’. The document he holds records the number of hunted animals: ḥṯt ‘hyena’ 3,300; mꜢ-ḥḏ ‘oryx’; smꜢ ‘wild bull’ 400; gḥs ‘gazelle’ 3,100; njꜢw ‘ibex’; šsꜢw ‘hartebeest’ 3,300. The unfolded document can be seen here in more detail: Scroll reporting on desert hunt. The man behind Mentuhotep wears a long wig and a short kilt and is leading a scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah) to be presented to the tomb owner.
- Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 12, Reign of Amenemhat II (c. 1918-1884 BCE).
- Egypt, Beni Hassan, Upper Cemetery, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Chapel, North wall, Right Upper section, Wall, 2.
- Relief or Polychrome Paint.
- Parent Context
- Kanawati & Evans, BH1, Pl. 36b.:Beni Hassan:Upper Cemetery:12th Dynasty:Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3) II:Chapel:Scene:North wall:Left Upper section:Wall:Desert and desert-related activities:Desert Hunt:
- Data Credits
- Compiled by Madeline Jenkins and the Beni Hassan Research Group with resources from the Macquarie University Ancient Cultures Research Centre, and the Australian Centre for Egyptology.
- Project Funding
- Supported by the Australian Research Council Discovery Project scheme: DP160102223 "Measuring meaning in Egyptian art: A new approach to an intractable problem" held by N. Kanawati (MQ), L. Evans (MQ), A. Woods (MQ) and J. Kamrin (Met), the Macquarie University Department of Ancient History, and the Macquarie University Faculty of Arts.
- Original Citation
- N. Kanawati & L. Evans, Beni Hassan: Volume I: The Tomb of Khnumhotep II (Australian Centre for Egyptology: Reports 36, Aris and Phillips, Oxford, 2014, ISBN: 978-0-85668-846-1), pls. 39a (photograph),
- Recorded and published with permission from the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities. Photographs by Effy Alexakis as part of research on site. Copyright Macquarie University 2018. All rights reserved.
- Cite this
- Madeline Jenkins "Two men reporting the tally of a desert hunt, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan ." In The Beni Hassan Visual Dictionary: Khnumhotep II, edited by Alexandra Woods, Brian Ballsun-Stanton, and Nicolle Leary. Sydney: Macquarie University, 2018. https://benihassan.com/dictionary/Khnumhotep+II+Tomb+3/Two+men+reporting+the+tally+of+a+desert+hunt/