Two men announcing the arrival of an Asiatic procession, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan
Egypt, Beni Hassan, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Upper Cemetery, Chapel, North wall.
Two Egyptian men announce the arrival of a procession of Asiatics to the tomb owner. This detail occurs on the chapel’s north wall General view of the north wall. The first man on the right is identified as sš Ꜥ(w) nswt Nfr-ḥtp ‘the scribe of the royal documents, Noferhotep’. He bows before Khnumhotep II while holding a rolled papyrus in one hand and presenting him with another unfolded document. On it is written: rnpt-sp 6 ḫr ḥm n Ḥr sšm tꜢwj nswt-bjtj ḪꜤ-ḫpr-RꜤ rḫt n ꜤꜢmw jn.n sꜢ ḥꜢtj-Ꜥ H̱nmw-ḥtp(.w) ḥr msdmt m ꜤꜢmw n Šw rḫt jr 37 ‘regnal year 6 under the Majesty of Horus, Leader of the Two Lands, King of Upper and Lower Egypt, Khakheperre (Senwosret II); the number of Asiatics whom the son of the count, Khnumhotep, brought on account of the black eye-paint, namely Asiatics of Shu, number amounting to 37’. The unfolded document can be seen here in more detail: Scroll recording the arrival of a group of foreigners. The second man is labelled jmj-r nww H̱tjj ‘the overseer of hunters, Khety’.
- Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 12, Reign of Amenemhat II (c. 1918-1884 BCE).
- Egypt, Beni Hassan, Upper Cemetery, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Chapel, North wall, Centre section, Wall, 3.
- Tracing paper.
- Parent Context
- :Beni Hassan:Upper Cemetery:12th Dynasty:Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3):Chapel:Scene:North wall:Middle section:Wall:::
- Data Credits
- Compiled by Carly Blair and the Beni Hassan Research Group with resources from the Macquarie University Ancient Cultures Research Centre, and the Australian Centre for Egyptology.
- Project Funding
- Supported by the Australian Research Council Discovery Project scheme: DP160102223 "Measuring meaning in Egyptian art: A new approach to an intractable problem" held by N. Kanawati (MQ), L. Evans (MQ), A. Woods (MQ) and J. Kamrin (Met), the Macquarie University Department of Ancient History, and the Macquarie University Faculty of Arts.
- Original Citation
- N. Kanawati & L. Evans, Beni Hassan: Volume I: The Tomb of Khnumhotep II (Australian Centre for Egyptology: Reports 36, Aris and Phillips, Oxford, 2014, ISBN: 978-0-85668-846-1), 115b, 124, 129 (lineart).
- Recorded and published with permission from the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities. Photographs by Effy Alexakis as part of research on site. Copyright Macquarie University 2018. All rights reserved.
- Cite this
- Carly Blair "Two men announcing the arrival of an Asiatic procession, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan ." In The Beni Hassan Visual Dictionary: Khnumhotep II, edited by Alexandra Woods, Brian Ballsun-Stanton, and Nicolle Leary. Sydney: Macquarie University, 2018. https://benihassan.com/dictionary/Khnumhotep+II+Tomb+3/Two+men+announcing+the+arrival+of+an+Asiatic+procession/lineart/