Tomb owner's son hunting a wild bull, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan
Egypt, Beni Hassan, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Upper Cemetery, Chapel, North wall.
The tomb owner's son, Khnumhotep the younger, takes aim at a wild bull (Bos taurus). This detail appears in the top row, or register, of a desert hunt scene on the chapel's north wall General view of the north wall. Khnumhotep the younger is accompanied by a running hunting dog. The hunting dog has a black and white mottled, or spotted, coat and wears a black collar. The wild bull has lowered its head in a threatening position. A tiny jerboa (Jaculus sp.) cowers beside a bush and a Cape hare (Lepus capensis) hides in a shallow burrow.
- Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 12, Reign of Amenemhat II (c. 1918-1884 BCE).
- Egypt, Beni Hassan, Upper Cemetery, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Chapel, North wall, Left Upper section, Wall, 1.
- Relief or Polychrome Paint.
- Parent Context
- Kanawati & Evans, BH1, Pl. 29.:Beni Hassan:Upper Cemetery:12th Dynasty:Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3) II:Chapel:Architectural feature:North wall::Wall:::
- Data Credits
- Compiled by Nicolle Leary and the Beni Hassan Research Group with resources from the Macquarie University Ancient Cultures Research Centre, and the Australian Centre for Egyptology.
- Project Funding
- Supported by the Australian Research Council Discovery Project scheme: DP160102223 "Measuring meaning in Egyptian art: A new approach to an intractable problem" held by N. Kanawati (MQ), L. Evans (MQ), A. Woods (MQ) and J. Kamrin (Met), the Macquarie University Department of Ancient History, and the Macquarie University Faculty of Arts.
- Original Citation
- N. Kanawati & L. Evans, Beni Hassan: Volume I: The Tomb of Khnumhotep II (Australian Centre for Egyptology: Reports 36, Aris and Phillips, Oxford, 2014, ISBN: 978-0-85668-846-1), pls. 34a (photograph),
- Recorded and published with permission from the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities. Photographs by Effy Alexakis as part of research on site. Copyright Macquarie University 2018. All rights reserved.
- Cite this
- Nicolle Leary "Tomb owner's son hunting a wild bull, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan ." In The Beni Hassan Visual Dictionary: Khnumhotep II, edited by Alexandra Woods, Brian Ballsun-Stanton, and Nicolle Leary. Sydney: Macquarie University, 2018. https://benihassan.com/dictionary/Khnumhotep+II+Tomb+3/Tomb+owner's+son+hunting+a+wild+bull/