General view of the north wall, a feature from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan
Egypt, Beni Hassan, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Upper Cemetery, Chapel, North wall.
The chapel's north wall features a desert-hunt scene and scenes of activities on the tomb owner's estate. The main focus of the wall is the large representation of the tomb owner at the extreme right, standing and surveying the activities Tomb owner viewing various estate activities. The wall space opposite the tomb owner's large figure is divided into two sections. The upper three registers, or rows, are reserved for the desert-hunt scene. This scene is dominated by the large figure of the tomb owner using a bow and arrows to shoot at different animals Tomb owner hunting in the desert. A procession of Asiatics is depicted within the third register from the top A procession of foreigners. The bottom three registers on the wall are devoted to the counting and presentation of different animals from the tomb owner's estate.
- Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 12, Reign of Amenemhat II (c. 1918-1884 BCE).
- Egypt, Beni Hassan, Upper Cemetery, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Chapel, North wall, Wall.
- Relief or Polychrome Paint.
- Parent Context
- Data Credits
- Compiled by Penelope Blake and the Beni Hassan Research Group with resources from the Macquarie University Ancient Cultures Research Centre, and the Australian Centre for Egyptology.
- Project Funding
- Supported by the Australian Research Council Discovery Project scheme: DP160102223 "Measuring meaning in Egyptian art: A new approach to an intractable problem" held by N. Kanawati (MQ), L. Evans (MQ), A. Woods (MQ) and J. Kamrin (Met), the Macquarie University Department of Ancient History, and the Macquarie University Faculty of Arts.
- Original Citation
- N. Kanawati & L. Evans, Beni Hassan: Volume I: The Tomb of Khnumhotep II (Australian Centre for Egyptology: Reports 36, Aris and Phillips, Oxford, 2014, ISBN: 978-0-85668-846-1), pls. 29 (photograph),
- Recorded and published with permission from the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities. Photographs by Effy Alexakis as part of research on site. Copyright Macquarie University 2018. All rights reserved.
- Cite this
- Penelope Blake "General view of the north wall, a feature from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan ." In The Beni Hassan Visual Dictionary: Khnumhotep II, edited by Alexandra Woods, Brian Ballsun-Stanton, and Nicolle Leary. Sydney: Macquarie University, 2018. https://benihassan.com/dictionary/Khnumhotep+II+Tomb+3/General+view+of+the+north+wall/