Body guard to Khnumhotep II, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan
Egypt, Beni Hassan, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Upper Cemetery, Chapel, North wall.
An armed attendant stands behind the tomb owner Khnumhotep II for his protection. This detail appears in the desert hunt scene on the chapel's north wall Tomb owner hunting in the desert. The attendant has cropped hair and creases of fat across his chest and stomach. He wears a short kilt and a scarf over his left shoulder. He holds a spear in one hand and an axe in the other. As these weapons are used in warfare rather than hunting, it is likely that he is there to protect the tomb owner.
- Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 12, Reign of Amenemhat II (c. 1918-1884 BCE).
- Egypt, Beni Hassan, Upper Cemetery, Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3), Chapel, North wall, Left Upper section, Wall, 3.
- Tracing paper.
- Parent Context
- Kanawati & Evans, BH1, Pl. 33a.:Beni Hassan:Upper Cemetery:12th Dynasty:Khnumhotep II (Tomb 3):Chapel:Scene:North wall:Left Upper section:Wall:Desert and desert-related activities:Desert-hunt or desert-landscape scene:
- Data Credits
- Compiled by Penelope Blake and the Beni Hassan Research Group with resources from the Macquarie University Ancient Cultures Research Centre, and the Australian Centre for Egyptology.
- Project Funding
- Supported by the Australian Research Council Discovery Project scheme: DP160102223 "Measuring meaning in Egyptian art: A new approach to an intractable problem" held by N. Kanawati (MQ), L. Evans (MQ), A. Woods (MQ) and J. Kamrin (Met), the Macquarie University Department of Ancient History, and the Macquarie University Faculty of Arts.
- Original Citation
- N. Kanawati & L. Evans, Beni Hassan: Volume I: The Tomb of Khnumhotep II (Australian Centre for Egyptology: Reports 36, Aris and Phillips, Oxford, 2014, ISBN: 978-0-85668-846-1), 123 (lineart).
- Recorded and published with permission from the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities. Photographs by Effy Alexakis as part of research on site. Copyright Macquarie University 2018. All rights reserved.
- Cite this
- Penelope Blake "Body guard to Khnumhotep II, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan ." In The Beni Hassan Visual Dictionary: Khnumhotep II, edited by Alexandra Woods, Brian Ballsun-Stanton, and Nicolle Leary. Sydney: Macquarie University, 2018. https://benihassan.com/dictionary/Khnumhotep+II+Tomb+3/Body+guard+to+Khnumhotep+II/lineart/